A Message From the Grants Office
The Grants Office in Research & Development (R&D) assists Carilion staff members in pre- and post-award activities including preparing project budgets, assisting with proposal submissions, coordinating with external collaborators, negotiating agreements, and promoting good stewardship in administering the fiduciary and technical responsibilities of each grant award.
Guidelines for Grant Submissions:
- Notify R&D as soon as you plan on submitting an extramural application; no later than fifteen (15) days prior to the sponsor deadline. However, you are highly encouraged to contact R&D immediately to discuss the application, requirements, and any resources or assistance needed. Longer lead time may be necessary if external collaborators are involved. By forwarding R&D the sponsor’s guidelines, instructions, and forms, R&D will have ample time to ensure eligibility, prepare any administrative or fiscal documentation required, and identify and test any electronic submission requirements.
- R&D Application must be completed and approved by Dept Chair prior to submitting the application package
- The Grant Administrator will work with the study team to prepare a budget, gather documentation (such as biosketches, institutional forms, etc.), and determine requirements for submission.
- If external collaborators (e.g., co-investigators) are involved, letters of commitment and budgets must be received to confirm participation. The Grants Management Administrator will help coordinate the request. Be sure to plan ahead for extended lead time for external collaborators’ budget preparation.
- All collaborative/subaward materials (letters of commitment, budget and budget justification, biosketches, statement of work, etc.) must be received at least 7 business days prior to the sponsor submission deadline.
- The PI/PD must finalize the budget and budget justification for review and approval no later than 5 business days prior to the sponsor submission deadline.
- Grants that involve prospective patient enrollment with research intervention will require feasibility meetings prior to submission.
- With at least 3 business days lead time prior to the sponsor submission deadline, R&D will perform a complete final proposal review.
- R&D will submit with no less than 1 business day prior to the application deadline.
Questions? Contact Vera Hollen, Grants Management Administrator
(m) 540-521-5284 VLHollen@CarilionClinic.org