Carilion Clinic contracts with most major health insurance carriers. We encourage you to contact your health insurance company or health benefits manager to better understand how your policy works and any financial liability that you may have, prior to receiving care.
Below is a list of participating health insurance carriers (this list is updated periodically and is subject to change without notice).
Carilion Clinic Patient Access and Eligibility Assistance Services can also review the list of participating insurance plans with you. You can contact Patient Access and Eligibility Assistance Services by phone at 540-510-6400 or toll free at 1-800-928-2860.
Click here to view information about balance billing protection for out-of-network services.
Commercial Managed Care:
- Aetna Select
- Aetna AdvantageAetna
- Affordable Health Choice
- Aetna Whole Health OAMC
- Aetna Health Fund
- Aetna EPO
- Aetna HMO
- Aetna PPO
- Aetna Choice POS
- Aetna Choice POS II
- Carilion Clinic Employees Plan
- Coventry National Network
- Southern Health HMO
- Southern Health PPO
- Anthem PPO/POS
- Anthem Healthkeepers
- Anthem Healthkeepers HMO/Pathway X
- Anthem FEP
- Commonwealth of Virginia
- Cigna PPO
- Cigna HMO/POS
- Optima Vantage (HMO)
- Optima Plus (PPO)
Piedmont Community Health
Only specific physicians participate with Piedmont Community Health Plan and the member should verify participating physicians with Piedmont prior to scheduling services
- UHC Choice/Choice Plus
- UHC Select/Select Plus
- UHC Options PPO
Virginia Health Network/MedCost
Medicaid Managed Care Plans:
- Anthem Healthkeepers Plus
- Coventry Cares
- Magellan Complete Care of VA
- Optima Family Care
- United Healthcare
- Virginia Premier
Medicare Advantage Plans:
- Aetna Medicare Select (HMO/PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Select Plus (HMO/PPO)
- Aetna Medicare Essential (PPO)
- Anthem Medicare Advantage
- Humana Gold Plus (HMO)
- Humana Choice (PPO)
- Humana Gold Choice (PFFS)
- AARP Medicare Complete
- United Healthcare Medicare Solutions
- United Healthcare Medicare Direct
- United Healthcare Medicare Direct Essential
Commonwealth Coordinated Care (Dual plans)
- Anthem Healthkeepers MMP
- Humana CCC
- Virginia Premier CCC
- Optima Health Medicare Advantage
Health Insurance Marketplace Products
Here are some questions you should ask your health insurance carrier or health benefits manager:
- Do I have access to in-network health care services at Carilion Clinic?
- Does my benefit plan require me to select a primary care provider (PCP)?
- Does my plan require pre-authorization for treatment?
- Does my plan require referrals to see a specialist?
- Will I have a co-payment, a co-insurance, and/or a deductible?
Out-of-network penalties can result in a significant out of pocket expense.