Thank you for choosing Carilion Clinic's Medical Weight Loss Clinic. We focus on providing care for patients who have a BMI of >30 and a desire to lose weight.
Carilion's 12-week Medical Weight Loss Program uses a multidisciplinary, team-based approach to design a weight loss plan specific to your needs. Our research-based strategies focus on sustainable lifestyle interventions and medications as indicated to help you achieve your goals.
At your initial appointment, you will meet our bariatrician, exercise physiologist and dietitian. Each week that follows will include time with one of our team members, providing you with further education, support and resources to help you achieve your health and weight loss goals.
A sample schedule of our Medical Weight Loss Program is outlined below:
- Week 1: Visit with nurse, followed by initial consult with bariatrician, dietitian and exercise physiologist
- Week 2: Follow up with nurse practitioner
- Week 3: Follow up with dietitian
- Week 4: Weigh in with nurse
- Week 5: Follow up with exercise physiologist and dietitian
- Week 6: Follow up with bariatrician
- Week 7: Weigh in with nurse
- Week 8: Follow up with dietitian
- Week 9: Follow up with nurse practitioner
- Week 10: Follow up with exercise physiologist
- Week 11: Weigh in with nurse
- Week 12: Final consultation with bariatrician and dietitian
After you complete the program, we will continue to follow you in our Weight Management Clinic, where we help you achieve any additional weight loss and provide further treatment and support for weight loss maintenance. We understand that obesity is a chronic and relapsing disease, and we provide comprehensive, long-term care based on your individual needs.
In addition to our medical care, we provide our patients with resources to help maintain their new lifestyle. Our exercise physiologists offer both individual and group exercise programs solely for our patients, and we will provide you with healthy recipes, a weight loss guidebook and group support sessions.
Our Weight Management Clinic also supports pre-operative and post-operative bariatric surgery patients. While our focus is the medical management of your weight, we are happy to coordinate your care with our bariatric surgery clinic.
Carilion's 12-week Medical Weight Loss Program is an affordable option for those who are serious about making a healthy lifestyle change. The total cost of the program will vary per person and vary for each medical insurance plan.
Lauren Self, D.O. Medical Bariatrician
Carol Ascher, F.N.P. Medical Bariatric Nurse Practitioner
C.J. Duhon, R.D.-N. Registered Dietitian
Kristi Bowman, E.P.-C. Certified Exercise Physiologist
Michael Gallant, C.S.C.S. Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist