The Department of Pharmacy at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital (CRMH) has a strong commitment to the education and professional development of both pharmacists and pharmacy students. The summer internship program is designed to provide experiences that support and supplement the intern's classroom education. Participants in our summer internship program will gain a better understanding of the importance of a pharmacist in the provision of patient care in the health-system setting, develop leadership and pharmacy practice skills, and be prepared for pursuing post-graduate educational opportunities.
About the Department
The Department of Pharmacy at CRMH is comprised of approximately 70 pharmacists and 70 technicians. We utilize a mix of decentralized clinical staff and specialists to provide pharmaceutical care for patient populations ranging from Level 1 trauma to neonatal critical care. In addition to our personnel, we utilize multiple technologies to deliver care, including PyxisMedstations, centralized carousels, computerized prescriber order entry, electronic medical records and bedside barcode scanning. Approximately 30 percent of our pharmacists are adjunct or associate professors for regional schools of pharmacy and medicine.
The objectives of the pharmacy internship program include:
- Understand all aspects of the hospital drug distribution system.
- Provide student interns with experience in completing a research project and presenting the results of the project.
- Expose student interns to current standards of care and the role of the pharmacist and pharmacy technician within hospitals and health systems.
- Provide student interns with an understanding of how technology is used to improve the medication use process with hospitals and health systems.
- Provide students with the opportunity to interact with other health care professionals and develop an understanding of the multidisciplinary approach to patient care.