Learning Through Patient Interaction
Students who require clinical training or practicums as part of their curriculum may apply for placement at Carilion facilities. Placement in a specific department or profession is subject to availability and cannot be guaranteed.
- Students should not contact Carilion Clinic staff and/or providers seeking clinical placements. All requests must be sent directly to Visiting Student Affairs to be considered for a rotation.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a current program of clinical study pertaining to the rotation being requested.
- Completed applications must be received by the deadline provided for each semester. We do not accept early or late applications.
- An existing Affiliation Agreement (contract) must be in place prior to beginning a rotation.
- Students must complete an online student orientation and any additional required training requested by Visiting Student Affairs prior to the start of the rotation.
- Those seeking clinical placement at Carilion Clinic should complete a Clinical Rotation Application (pdf)
- If granted a rotation: Students must read the Code of Excellence Manual and print and sign page 29
- If planning to be on an Carilion premises between October 1st and March 31st of any year: Applicants must also fill out and submit the Attestation of Flu Vaccination form (.doc).
We accept applications three times a year (no earlier, no later):
Spring Semester (runs Jan-April): Apply 10/1-11/15 (notified in mid-December)
Summer Semester (runs May-July): Apply 2/1-3/15 (notified in mid-April)
Fall Semester (runs Aug-Dec): Apply 5/1-6/15 (notified in mid-July)
Applications can be scanned and emailed, faxed or post mailed to: Visiting Student Affairs, Riverside 1: 4th Floor PO Box 13367, Roanoke, VA 24033, Fax 540-983-1189.