Carilion Clinic offers physical, occupational and speech language therapy and rehabilitation to patients at all stages of care. Cardiac rehabilitation, pulmonary and respiratory therapies are also available.
Our Inpatient Rehabilitation offers personalized programs and highly trained staff in speech, occupational, physical, and other specialized therapy treatments to help you transition from hospital acute care therapy. When a less acute transition to home is needed, we provide a Swing Bed program at three community hospitals. Upon leaving Inpatient Rehabilitation or a Swing Bed program, you’ll be ready for home discharge and outpatient therapy, as needed.
It is important to continue your therapy program after you leave the hospital or Inpatient Rehabilitation. Carilion Clinic offers outpatient therapy programs to help you continue your journey toward wellness and independent living.
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech-Language Pathology
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Pulmonary Therapy
- Pediatric Therapy
- Swing Bed (three hospital locations)
- NEW Sports Performance and Rehabilitation
Our highly skilled physical therapists provide individualized programs that help restore and maintain maximum physical movement and enable you to live your life safely and comfortably. These programs may include exercises and activities to improve your endurance, balance, coordination or range of motion.
- Lymphedema therapy can reduce discomfort, swelling and risk of infection
- Parkinson's disease therapy can help slow symptoms
- Pelvic floor therapy can help men and women with urinary or fecal incontinence or pelvic pain
- Vestibular therapy is for people with balance issues that affect the inner ear
- Dry needling is a technique similar to acupuncture that stimulates healing in tissues
- Water/aquatic therapy
- ReWalk exoskeleton
- For more information on ReWalk, please contact Jackelyn Lane at firstname.lastname@example.org or 401.234.3447
- Pediatric physical therapy (specialized therapy for young patients)
Occupational therapy is recommended for patients who have been injured in an accident, are recovering from an illness or surgery or have a chronic disability or weakness. Programs are designed to help patients maximize their level of independence for daily activities, such as self-care, leisure or work.
Our therapists focus on the upper extremities, from the shoulder to the hand. Occupational therapy can help patients with arthritis, carpal tunnel syndrome and other issues that limit the use of the hand and fingers.
- Activities for daily living – retraining
- Adaptive equipment instruction and modification
- Strengthening and reconditioning
- Coordination retraining
- Cognitive retraining
- Upper extremity wound management
- Hand therapy
- Musician therapy
Speech, language and/or swallowing problems affect adults for a variety of reasons, including accidents, injuries, progressive or sudden illness or stroke.
Our certified speech and language pathologists can help by evaluating and treating people with a variety of disorders that affect communication and swallowing. We have advanced techniques and devices, including speech-generating devices that can give a voice to people who are unable to express themselves verbally, and VitalStim®, a specialized therapeutic technique that improves swallowing.
- Speech – helps people with slurred or uncoordinated speech, poor articulation or stuttering
- Language – helps with word finding and comprehension problems
- Cognitive – helps treat problems with memory and reasoning that make communication difficult
- Swallowing – dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) can be managed with diet, exercises and adaptive techniques
Our Carilion Clinic Cardiac Rehabilitation program is designed to help people with heart disease recover faster, feel better and get healthier. Our trained specialists use exercise and wellness conditioning to help you regain strength and endurance.
- Aerobic exercise that elevates your heart rate and helps improve the flow of oxygen-rich blood throughout your body
- Strength training, including the use of weights, to improve your muscle strength and stamina
- Education to help you and your family learn more about your condition