Step up to better health and take the stairs
Julie Blanchard, M.S., Carilion Clinic's community health educator, discusses how you can squeeze in more exercise by using the stairs.
Many people lead busy lives, making it hard to find time for exercise. But the truth is—your gym may be right around the corner. Next time you have to walk up or down floors in a building think about taking the stairs instead of an elevator. It’s an easy way to incorporate physical activity into your daily routine and improve your health.
Benefits of taking the stairs:
- It’s faster. It takes an average of 13 seconds to climb a flight of stairs, but it takes about 37 seconds to ride an elevator the same distance.
- It’s convenient. Stairs can be found almost anywhere, so it’s easy to incorporate exercise into your daily routine.
- It’s intense. Since you’re raising your own body weight against gravity, the more you weigh, the more calories you burn.
- It’s healthy. Regular physical activity, such as stair climbing, can improve your heart health and reduce your risk for many health conditions.
- It’s green. Taking the stairs helps the environment, since it uses less electricity than riding an elevator.
Carilion Clinic is proud to offer our Stairwellness program that encourages you to take the stairs. Commit to stair climbing today. It’s fast, free, convenient, and you’re just steps away from improving your health.