Carilion Clinic Research and Development (R&D) offers various resources and educational handbooks for medical research.
Extramural Funding Resources:
R&D Administrative Handbooks
- Introduction: An introduction to Research and Development, processes, policies and forms and a general description of principal investigator responsibilities
- Clinical Trials Start-Up: Start-up processes for industry sponsored and government sponsored clinical trials
- Proposal Submission Guidelines: Details the steps from identifying potential grant funding and submitting a proposal to award notification
- Post Award: Details the steps of post award processes including expenditures, effort reporting and overhead.
- Billing Compliance Procedure Manual: Outlines the required steps to maintaining clinical research billing compliance with EPIC and other software.
Research Acceleration Program (RAP)
Research and Development offers the RAP Guidelines handbook, which is a general award guidelines resource, including eligibility, funding limits, application instructions, administration of awards and selection criteria.
- Definitions: Definitions of common terms associated with sponsored projects
- Pre-Award FAQ: Short presentation on commonly asked questions pertaining to submitting grants
- Post-Award FAQ: Short presentation on commonly asked questions pertaining to awarded grants
- FCOI Tutorial: NIH Financial Conflict of Interest tutorial. Please also see Carilion's policy and form.
- Most Frequent NIH Funding Mechanisms: NIH uses activity codes (e.g. R01, R43, etc.) to differentiate the wide variety of research-related programs we support. Not all NIH Institutes and Centers accept applications for all types of grant programs; participation is listed in each Funding Opportunity Announcement.
Other Educational Resources
- Research Education Series
- Carilion Clinic/Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute Research Poster Templates
- CITI Training: Required by the IRB for all researchers conducting human subjects research
- NIH Training: An optional training module sponsored by the NIH
- NIH Principles & Practices of Clinical Research Modules: NIH Principles & Practice of Clinical Research modules
- FDA Warning Letters and Responses: See what mistakes have been made recently by other institutions
- Checklist for Investigators: Carilion Clinic IRB Research Organization Checklist is a tool designed to provide guidance to researchers in complying with Good Clinical Practice recommendations in maintaining appropriate study documentation