Though Carilion offers some of the most cutting-edge technology available, many patients are not aware that they don't have to travel for such specialized treatment. Some of the best technology in healthcare is available right here in southwest Virginia.
Carilion's commitment to staying on the cutting edge of healthcare technology makes it another vital factor in ensuring quality of care.
- Carilion Clinic offers the da Vinci surgerical system. Carilion was one of the first providers in the U.S. to treat heart patients with the da Vinci Robotic Surgerical System.
- 64 Slice CT and PET CT 3T MAGNETOM Verio MRI
- Comprehensive orthopaedic surgery program
- Carilion Clinic's Cancer Center includes:
- CyberKnife Stereotactic Radiosurgery for inoperable tumors (The first facility in Virginia to offer this technology)
- High Dose Radiation (HDR) Brachytherapy
- Linear Accelerators with IMRT
- Prostate Brachytherapy Radioactive Seed Implants
- Comprehensive cardio-thoracic surgery program
- Advanced gynecologic oncology program including:
- Minimally-invasive surgery for gynecology, including the da Vinci Robotic Surgical System
- In-office chemotherapy, industry-sponsored research trials and participation in National Cancer Institute sponsored research
- Neurosurgery program
- Nationally-recognized Breast Care Center with large-format pathology and digital mammography
- Robotic-assisted surgery for cardiac, urology, gynecology and advanced laparoscopic techniques in general surgery
- Comprehensive Children's Hospital including:
- Sub-specialty physicians and clinics in surgery, cardiology, pulmonology, gastroenterology, dentistry, rheumatology, orthopaedics, hematology and oncology, neurosurgery and developmental pediatrics
- Neonatal and Pediatric Intensive Care Units and Inpatient Children's Facility with specialized transport team
- Level I Trauma Center and Life-Guard air ambulance service
- Interventional radiology
- Mohs surgery
"Wired" for Quality
Carilion Clinic is a recognized leader in the application of information technology to change and improve the delivery of care to its patients. Through the commitment of our information technology group we provide enhanced patient safety, customer service and business processes.
In 2010, Carilion was named one of the '100 Most Wired' health systems (Hospitals & Health Networks), largely due to an advanced implemention of an electronic medical record. In fact, the organization has consistently been on the "Most Wired" list for many years because of consistent development of technology solutions that provide value-added benefits for health care providers and patients.
- Carilion Clinic has invested more than $200 million in information technology to enhance quality, safety and efficiency of patient care over the past 10 years.
- The Technology Services Department supports over 100 systems from more than 60 vendors.
- Carilion invests $5 million a year in the implementation of an electronic medical record application, knows as EPIC.
- More than 956 physicians in Carilion Clinic's practices use EPIC to improve the quality and safety of patient care.
- Carilion is the first provider in the region to provide MyChart, an online health management tool that allows patients to view their records and communicate digitally with physicians.