At Carilion Clinic, we strive for excellence when it comes to patient care. Patients are the reason our employees chose healthcare as their profession. But our commitment to excellence goes deeper than just doing a job - our physicians, nurses and staff think of healthcare as a way of life.
That's why many of our physicians are constantly on the lookout for new treatments to implement or new certifications to add to their skillset. In fact, Carilion providers have passed strenuous tests to earn credentials and board certifications to ensure safe and successful practice.
Numerous Carilion Clinic hospitals and centers have earned recognition for their excellence in quality.
Joint Commission Certifications
Several programs at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital were awarded Joint Commission Disease-Specific Certifications in September 2011.
- Joint Replacement - Hip
- Joint Replacement - Knee
Consumer Choice Award
Healthcare consumers ranked Carilion Roanoke Memorial and Community Hospitals as the 'most- preferred' in the Roanoke Valley, earning it the National Research Corporation's Consumer Choice Award in for the ninth consecutive year in 2012.
Magnet Status Hospital
Carilion Roanoke Memorial and Community hospitals are designated as Magnet facilities by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Magnet designation is widely accepted as the gold standard of nursing and patient care.
Other Awards and Designations
- 2011 - Top 100 Integrated Healthcare Networks (47th) by SDI Health
- 2011 Quality of Care awards from Professional Research Consultants:
- Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital: five stars, inpatient cardiac/telemetry services
- Carilion New River Valley Medical Center: five stars, inpatient OB/GYN services
- Carilion Giles Community Hospital: four stars, emergency department services
- 2011 Beacon Award for Critical Care Excellence - American Association of Critical Care Nurses (Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital)
- 2011 Most Wired healthcare organizations - Hospital & Health Networks
- 2010 Gold Seal of Approval by The Joint Commission for stroke care and orthopaedics (Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital)
- 2010 Beacon Award for Critical Care Excellence - American Association of Critical Care Nurses (Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital)
- 2010 Most Wired and Most Wireless - Hospitals & Health Networks
- 2010 HomeCare Eliteª award (top 25 percent of home care providers)
- 2010 Top 20 list of Most Beautiful Hospitals (Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital)
- 2008/2009 Consumer Choice Award for Most Preferred Hospital (Carilion Roanoke Memorial and Carilion Roanoke Community hospitals) by the National Research Corporation
- 2009 Most Wired -- Hospitals & Health Networks -- read news release
- 2009 CIO 100 Awards - CIO magazine 2009 CEO-IT Achievement Award -- Modern Healthcare magazine
- 2008 HHS Medal of Honor for Organ Donation
- 2008 Thomson Reuters Top 100 Performance Improvement Leader Award (Carilion New River Valley)
- 2008 Premier Annual Supply Chain Excellence Awards
- 2008 Training Top 125 (Superior Workforce Training)
- 2008 Baxter -- AACN Excellence in Patient Safety
- 2007 Top 50 hospitals for orthopaedic care -- U.S. News and World Report
- 2006-07 HomeCare Elite (Radford and Tazewell) Top 100 Integrated Delivery Systems -- Verispan (as published in Modern Healthcare)
- 2006 Most Wired and Most Wireless -- Hospitals & Health Networks
- 2005 Solucient Top 100 Performance Improvement Leaders Award (Carilion New River Valley)
- 2002 National Quality Healthcare Award - National Quality Forum (formerly the National Committee for Quality Healthcare) Blue Centers for Bariatric Surgery
Training Top 125
Carilion Clinic is recognized by Training magazine as one of the best organizations worldwide for workforce education and training. HR Training & Development provides our employees with comprehensive education and training.
Top 100 Leadership Development Program
HR Training & Development has been ranked as one of the Top 100 Leadership Development Programs in the country by Leadership Excellence, a national magazine that provides information to help improve companies’ internal development opportunities. Carilion Clinic was ranked number 13 in the Top 20 not-for-profit organizations surveyed.
HR Training & Development also was recognized by Leadership Excellence for our leadership program in two 2007 categories.
CUBIC Award for Best Overall Corporate University
HR Training & Development was named the Best Overall Corporate University, and Jeanne Armentrout, senior vice president of Human Resources at Carilion Clinic, received honorable mention as Corporate University Leader of the Year at the 2005 CUBIC Awards.
The CUBIC Awards were established by HR IQ to recognize, honor and promote corporate universities that are true best practices.
American Society for Training and Development: Excellence in Practice Citation
Carilion Clinic was one of only 31 organizations in the United States, China and Israel that were recognized by the American Society for Training and Development (ASTD) in 2006 with awards and citations for their learning and performance practices and interventions that get results. The ASTD citations were presented to practices “from which much is to be learned.” Carilion Clinic was recognized for the organizational learning that HR Training & Development provides in leadership essentials.