Nothing is more important to us than patient safety and providing quality care to our patients. Patients are the reason our clinicians chose health care as a profession. Health care is more than just a job – it is our calling. That’s why we are constantly looking for new treatments to implement and new certifications to add to our skill sets. As clinicians, we have passed strenuous tests to earn credentials and board certifications to ensure we are always doing what’s best for you.
We want to partner with you, the patient, for better health. This page has some general information about quality and patient safety at Carilion, as well as some suggested questions you can ask us and all of your health care providers.
We, along with the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, recommend asking your health care provider these top 10 questions:
- What is this test for?
- How many times have you done this procedure?
- When will I get the results?
- Why do I need this treatment?
- Are there any alternatives?
- What are the possible complications?
- Which hospital is best for my needs?
- How do you spell the name of that drug?
- Are there any side effects?
- Will this medicine interact with medicines that I’m already taking?
If you have concerns about patient care and safety at Carilion that have not been addressed, we encourage you to contact one of our patient advocates. Our patient advocates are here to assist with any questions or concerns.
You can contact Patient Advocacy during normal business hours at:
For help after regular business hours, ask your nurse or the hospital operator to request that a clinical administrator be paged.