Sleep disorders are problems with sleeping, including trouble falling or staying asleep, falling asleep at the wrong times, too much sleep, or abnormal behaviors during sleep.
There are more than 100 different sleeping and waking disorders. They can be grouped into four main categories:
- Problems falling and staying asleep (insomnia)
- Problems staying awake (excessive daytime sleepiness, narcolepsy)
- Problems sticking to a regular sleep schedule (sleep rhythm problem)
- Unusual behaviors during sleep (sleep-disruptive behaviors)
The below links provide more information about sleep disorders:
- Aging changes in sleep
- Central sleep apnea
- Idiopathic hypersomnia
- Isolated sleep paralysis
- Obstructive sleep apnea
- Restless Leg Syndrome
- Sleep disorders in the elderly
- Sleep terrors
Learn more about our Sleep Medicine services.