Pleural disorders is a category of conditions that affect the health and function of the lungs, eventually damaging the lining of the lungs (called pleura) and reducing lung function.
Symptoms can include increased pressure in the chest cavity, impaired or difficult breathing, inflammation of the lungs, and the development of other, more serious lung conditions.
Carilion Clinic's pleural disorders program provides:
- Diagnosis of mesothelioma (usually related to asbestos exposure)
- Diagnosis of pleural effusions due to heart failure, pneumonia and cancer
- Thoracentesis (removal of pleural fluid collections)
- Chest tube placements, including indwelling catheters such as the PleurX catheter.
- Pleurodesis (to seal the chest cavity and prevent fluid reaccumulation)