Carilion Stonewall Jackson Hospital ‘s volunteer program is a strong network of individuals from teens to retirees contributing their time, support, talents and skills. You will find volunteers in every area of the hospital helping members of our community feel welcome, comfortable and cared for. Our hospital takes pride in our committed, kind–hearted volunteers and recognizes they are essential to our success.
You are invited to become a part of the family. By volunteering for CSJH, you will enjoy making new friends, feel the self–fulfillment that comes from helping others, learn more about healthcare and improve your skills. Our goal is to match your interests and strengths with the volunteer needs of each department.
What can I do to help?
CSJH volunteers work in the following areas or ways:
- Information desk/escort
- Physical therapy
- Cardiac rehab
- Medical surgical
- Second floor waiting area
- Volunteer patient representatives
- The Lemon Tree Gift Shop
- The Stonewall Jackson Auxiliary Thrift Shop
- Emergency Department reception area
- Medical records
- Community development
Is volunteering at CSJH a good fit for me?
If you can answer yes to these questions, you might be just whom we are looking for:
- Are you at least 16 years old?
- Can you contribute at least 25 service hours a year?
- Are you in good health, and able to escort patients through the hospital?
- Are you willing to complete a hospital application, have a brief interview, participate in an in–depth volunteer orientation and attend reorientation each year you serve?
- Are you able to commit to a schedule and willing to make other arrangements with the department director if you need to change that schedule?
- Will you be able to commit yourself to the high customer service standards that CSJH holds for a patient–centered environment?
Call our volunteer office and we will be glad to send you an application.
Another exciting volunteer opportunity: the Stonewall Jackson Hospital Auxiliary
CSJH proudly acknowledges that we have one of the strongest hospital auxiliaries in the state. If you wish to become “tuned in” to your community hospital, here is a chance to channel your energy within a well–organized group. By combining volunteer efforts, the auxiliary has the ability to make enormous improvements at CSJH. The purpose of our auxiliary is to offer comfort and support to those who visit, to render financial assistance to the hospital, and to promote the health and welfare of the community along side of CSJH.
What some of our Auxilians are saying about their experience
I‘ve met a lot of great people I would never have known if I hadn't volunteered in the SJH Auxiliary. I like how so many people know my name.” ~ Bernice Heizer
I enjoy attending hospital events and Auxiliary functions.” ~ Pat Winans
As an Auxiliary member, I feel comfortable within my community hospital, and I've gained confidence in the healthcare I receive.” ~ Sally Gordon
As a member of the Auxiliary, we make a difference in people‘s lives every day — working as a team.” ~ Elleanor Dorsey
How can I join?
Your volunteer application packet includes a form for joining the Auxiliary. If you choose to join, the annual dues for active members is $10, and just $2 for teens. If you would like to talk to an Auxiliary representative about the programs that you can get involved in, call the Community Development/Volunteer office and we will introduce you to an Auxiliary member and possibly — your newest friend!
Download the application packet  (.pdf file)
For more information about volunteering at CSJH, or to submit a completed application please contact:
1 Health Circle
Lexington, VA 24450