At Carilion Stonewall Jackson Hospital , our goal is to make your experience in our Emergency Department a quality one.
Our Emergency Department is a 12–bed facility that cares for all age groups. The department is staffed with board certified physicians and highly qualified nurses. All staff are certified in Advance Cardiac Life Support and have been trained to handle many types of emergencies and illnesses.
When you arrive at our Emergency Department (ED), our qualified staff will check your vital signs and discuss your condition and medical history. This process is called triage.
- If your condition requires immediate treatment, you will be escorted to a room in the ED, or you may be asked to wait in the lobby for an available room as patients are seen based on the severity of their illness or injury, not in the order of their arrival
- Once in the treatment room, our goal is for every patient to see a physician in less than 40 minutes. There are times when our ED nurses will begin your care before you see the doctor. Doctor delays are usually because of very serious or life–threatening situations concerning other patients.
- We will make every effort to ensure that your wait will be as brief and as comfortable as possible. Processing certain tests, such as X–rays or laboratory studies, may increase your waiting time in the ED.
- Once test results are back, the doctor will return to talk with you about the plan of care and you will be provided with instructions for at–home care.
- If your condition requires admission into the hospital, the staff will move you to an inpatient bed as quickly as possible.
- Should a situation arise where the care required is not available at our primary care hospital, our staff will arrange your transfer by ambulance or helicopter to another hospital.
Our department also operates a “fast track” service during peak times that allows patients with minor illnesses or injuries to be seen by a doctor with expertise in treating these types of emergency visits. This four &ndash bed unit has a dedicated nursing staff and physician. The main purpose is for patients to be seen as quickly as possible and in an efficient manor.
We understand the importance of family and friends participating in your care. For the privacy of all of our patients, please have your family member remain in the room with you. We ask that visitors do not go into other patient rooms or linger in the hallway. We may need to request that your visitors return to the lobby area during certain procedures.
- Karen LaFon, Director of Emergency Services
- Randy Gallagher, D.O., Emergency Services Medical Director