If there is anything complicated about your pregnancy—for example, if you're over 35 or have had a prior miscarriage—we're here with supportive expertise to guide you safely through.
Carilion Clinic offers the region's only Maternal Fetal Medicine program integrated with a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Our mission is to care for women with high-risk pregnancies and help you achieve the best possible outcome.
Your physician may refer you to us when your regular obstetrician sees potential issues such as you:
- Are over the age of 35 or under the age of 20.
- Receive blood test or ultrasound results indicating a potential problem.
- Have a family history of an inherited disorder or a personal history of miscarriage or stillbirth.
- Experience pre-pregnancy health issues.
- Develop medical disorders (such as elevated blood pressure or gestational diabetes) during your pregnancy.
We offer comprehensive prenatal diagnostic services, including:
- Genetic counseling
- Screening for birth defects and genetic disorders
- First trimester screening for Down syndrome and trisomy 18
- Second trimester alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) testing for open spina bifida
- Quad screen analysis
- Fetal ultrasound for the detection of major birth defects
- Fetal echocardiogram for the detection of heart defects
- Percutaneous umbilical blood sampling (PUBS)
MATERNAL FETAL MEDICINE
We have access to many pediatric specialists at Carilion Clinic Children's Hospital, including neonatologists, cardiologists, gastroenterologists, surgeons, neurologists and pulmonologists.
At our outpatient site, the team is supported by a team of nurses and other healthcare professionals dedicated to women experiencing high-risk pregnancies.