APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE VIRGINIA TECH CARILION PEDIATRIC RESIDENCY
Group of Residents in the Children's Hospital.
All application materials must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). We only accept applications through ERAS for PGY-1 positions. Applications will not be accepted via fax, mail, or e-mail. We currently match six PGY-1 positions.
Our Pediatric Residency program is accredited by the American Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). We participate in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP).
Application to our residency program will be highly competitive. Listed below are some key items that we look for in candidates:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Passing score on USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX Step 1 at the time of application
- Dean's Letter
- Medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation (2 must be from board certified Pediatric Physicians in an academic practice setting)
- Must be a current graduate
For international graduates:
- At least six months of direct patient care experience in the U.S., Canadian, or British systems
- ECFMG certification if applicable
- J-1 visas are sponsored (not H-1)
Please contact us for more information regarding the Virginia Tech Carilion Pediatric Residency. We look forward to discussing our program with you.
Senior Residency Program Manager
Virginia Tech Carilion Pediatric Residency
Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital 
P.O. Box 13367
Roanoke, VA 24033-3367