Carilion Clinic's CME Program:
- Carilion Clinic's CME Program believes that continuing medical education favorably impacts the quality of healthcare and serves as a mechanism for continuous improvement.
- The purpose and mission of Carilion Clinic's CME Program is to provide quality continuing medical education that introduces new technology, educational techniques, and updated information that serve to increase knowledge and improve clinical skills.
- The scope of topics is necessarily broad to reach primary care physicians, specialists and sub-specialists. Participants are from many small, rural hospitals, larger secondary hospitals, regional medical centers and tertiary care providers in southwest Virginia.
- The activities range from one-hour weekly conferences (Medical Grand Rounds) to one and two day conferences.
- As a major educational institution in western Virginia, we feel an obligation to encourage smaller hospital and medical societies without their own CME accreditation to jointly sponsor CME within the Essential Areas and policies of The Medical Society of Virginia.
- The Carilion Clinic's CME Program through collaborative efforts strives to continuously design and implement innovative educational and non-educational interventions in order to increase physician knowledge, competence, performance or patient outcomes. We anticipate the physicians will report greater confidence in their approach to clinical problems or express their intent to change their behavior. We expect they will apply newly acquired strategies in their practice. Evaluation within the setting of clinical practice, we expect performance parameters to show improvement or favorable impact on targeted patient outcomes to be demonstrated.