We offer a mix of required and elective 5-week learning experiences in multiple areas.
Six PGY1 Pharmacy residents will progress through a series of customized rotational and longitudinal learning experiences during the 12-month period. We offer a mix of required and elective 5-week learning experiences in multiple areas, including:
Required Learning Experiences
- General Medicine (2 blocks, 10 weeks total)
- Infectious Diseases
- Critical Care (Medical ICU, Surgical ICU)
- Pharmaceutical Care
Elective Learning Experiences
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- General Pediatrics
- Information Technology
- Neonatal Intensive Care
- Drug Information/Medication Safety focused rotation
- Additional Critical Care (Medical ICU, Surgical ICU)
- Other specific elective experiences may be available – depending on the resident(s) interests
- Ambulatory Care-Family Medicine
- Service/Pharmacy Practice*
- Medication Use
- Professional Presentations
- Teaching certificate program, optional
*Residents will have a service commitment of one evening per week and every 3rd weekend.
PHARMACY RESIDENT BENEFITS
- Yearly stipend of $47,500
- Insurance (Health, Dental, Life, Disability)
- Paid leave
- Travel allowance
- Opportunity to participate in 403B retirement plan
- Resident office, laptop computer, and iPhone
We participate in the PhORCAS residency application process. (PhORCAS: Pharmacy Online Residency Centralized Application Service). PhORCAS is the result of a partnership between the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists (ASHP) and Liaison International. It also incorporates registration with the National Matching Service (NMS). Our PGY1 NMS Program Code is 145013.
Our application for the PGY-1 Pharmacy Practice Residency program requires submission of the following information through PhORCAS:
- Letter of Intent
- This letter must be personalized to Carilion and include answers to the following two questions.
- Why do you want to complete a PGY1 Residency?
- Why do you want to complete your residency training at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital?
- Curriculum vitae
- References submitted through PhORCAS
- Four references requested, minimum of three required
- Academic transcripts (pharmacy school - required, primary undergraduate school(s) - if available)
Completed applications are due by December 30, 2016. Residency applicants will be notified by January 25, 2017, regarding an offer for an on-site interview.
Pharmacy Residency Program Director
Please feel free to contact Megan L. Goodwin, PGY-1 Residency Program Director, with any questions related to our program and/or the application process.
Megan L. Goodwin, PharmD, BCPS
PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency Program Director
Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital
P.O. Box 13367
Department of Pharmacy
Roanoke, VA 24033-3367
Carilion is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
NMS Code: 145013