Your safety is important to us, and we ask that you follow these guidelines:
- A nurse call system is within easy reach. Please use the call system for assistance, particularly if you’ve been asked to do so.
- If your physician has restricted your activity and wants you to have assistance getting in and out of bed, please ask for help. Please keep your bed in the “low” position with the side–rails up.
- Tell our staff right away if any equipment in your room isn’t working properly.
- Don’t try to get in or out of a wheelchair by yourself. Always ask for help.
- The bathroom contains an emergency signal cord if you need assistance. Don’t try to get up without help if you feel weak or unsteady.
- Participate in your own care and help us assure your safety while you are a patient. Feel free to talk with staff or doctors if you have any concerns.
- If you’re up and about and would like to leave the nursing unit, please get your physician’s permission first. Then, be sure to tell your nurse where you’re going.
Patient Services Safety and Security
- Always wear some type of foot protection with good traction when you’re out of bed.
- Patients should notify a nurse if they notice anyone suspicious. All hospital employees wear identification badges.
- Inform your nurse or physician of any medicine or drugs you have brought from home and inform them of any drugs you were taking at home before your hospital admission.
- Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital is a smoke–free facility. Smoking is prohibited on all Carilion property, including parking facilities.
Personal Belongings and Valuables
Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital will not be responsible for personal belongings or items of value such as money, jewelry and credit cards. Please don’t keep them in your room. If it isn’t possible to send them home, you can store them in the hospital safe. Secured valuables can be returned only to the patient or someone who has a court–appointed power–of–attorney on weekdays between 8 a.m.–4 p.m. and on Saturdays between 9 a.m.–3:30 p.m. in the Cashier’s Office. In addition, Carilion Clinic cannot be responsible for the loss of glasses, contact lenses, hearing aids or dentures. Please keep such items in protective cases when they are not in use. The hospital will provide a denture cup — just ask your nurse.
Uniformed security/police officers are on duty throughout the hospital 24 hours a day. Late night visitors are encouraged to call the operator at extension “0” to have an officer escort them to their cars.