Care Connection for Children, sponsored by the Virginia Department of Health, is a statewide network of regional programs that provides health care coordination, community support, and resources to children with special health care needs.
Carilion Clinic was selected as one of six Virginia networks that will give local children with special health care needs access to optimally effective, community–based medical and support services.
The program ensures increased access to specialty care, as well as assistance with obtaining health insurance, accessing area resources and determining eligibility for outside funding.
Care Connection’s team–based approach pulls together case managers, medical personnel, educators and family members to determine how children with special health care needs can reach their maximum potential. We serve as a lifeline in gaining access to and coordinating the many different services that can help a child with a physical disability.
Care Coordinators connect families with:
- Local health care providers who have expertise with children with special health care needs
- Health care payment options
- Resources from the community
- School programs and services
- Other families experiencing similar situations
There are approximately 190,000 children living in the Commonwealth of Virginia who have physical disorders that are expected to last for at least 12 months. These children require treatment beyond that normally expected for their age.
In Roanoke, or one of the other regional affiliates, the Care Connection program can help children in such difficult circumstances get the care they need.
Care Connection Child Eligibility
- Live in Virginia
- Are under age 21
- Have a diagnosed physical disorder that is expected to last longer than 12 months
Map of Virginia
Find cities and counties served on this map of Virginia.
Meet Our Team
- Tammy Campbell, MBA, Care Connection for Children, Program Director
- Jennifer Clemo, RN
- Chris Helton, BSW
- Jody Sforza, RN, BSN
- Julie Warner, RN
- Dorrene Whorton, BSN, RNC
- Patricia Fellabaum, MEd.
- Kay Fisher, Administrative and Program Specialist II
- Brenda Taylor, BA, Parent Resource Coordinator
Resources and Information
2016 Care Connection for Children Camp and Activities Guide
2016 Winter Care Connection for Children Newsletter
Care Connection for Children Directory
Virginia Lifespan Respite Voucher Program Overview
Going to a new doctor or having to go to an emergency room? MyHealth Passport is a customized, wallet-size card that gives you instant access to your medical information.
Deadline for Applications and Scholarships End Soon!
- Brain Injury Association of Virginia Conference - Opening Doors: Communities, Partnerships, Opportunities. Saturday, March 5, 2016. Find more @ http://biav.net/biav-conference.htm. Deadline to apply is February 12, 2016.
- 15th Annual Autism Conference - March 9 & 10, 2016, the Richmond Westin. Go to: http://www.autismva.org/2016conference. Please see website for scholarship application deadline.
- Audible Easter Egg Hunt- Saturday, March 19, 2016 Roanoke Valley Egg hunt 2016 updated flyer-1.pdf
- 2016 I’m Determined Youth & Parent Summit – June 15-17, 2016, at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Virginia. Read more about this summit at: http://www.imdetermined.org/youth/youth_summit. Application deadline is March 15, 2016.
- Youth Leadership Forum - The 2016 YLF will take place EITHER July 24-28 OR Aug. 2-6. Students with disabilities of all ethnic and cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Click this link for more information http://www.vaboard.org/ylf.htm. Application deadline is March 31, 2016.
- Individual Family Support Program (IFSP) – 2016 IFSP funds may still be available. Go to: http://www.dbhds.virginia.gov/individuals-and-families/developmental-disabilities/community-support-services, go down to Individual Family Support Program (box). Application, instructions and other forms are at the bottom of page.
If a child in your family has special health care needs, please contact or have your health care provider contact:
Roanoke Area Care Connection for Children
1615 Franklin Road, SW
Roanoke, VA 24016
Find us on Facebook.