If your heart beats irregularly, either too fast or too slow, you may have what's called a heart rhythm disorder. There are many different types of heart rhythm problems but all result when the electrical impulses of the heart don't work correctly. Some heart rhythm disorders are serious, even life-threatening, while others are not.
HEART RHYTHM TESTING PROCEDURES
In order to diagnose your heart rhythm disorder and guide the care you will receive, Carilion doctors use tests such as:
- Ambulatory cardiac monitoring / Holter monitors
- Tilt table testing
- Coronary angiography
- Electrophysiology study (EPS)
HEART RHYTHM TREATMENTS
Carilion Clinic is a leader in the treatment of heart rhythm disorders, offering innovative therapies not available at other hospitals in western Virginia. Our electrophysiologists (doctors who specialize in treating electrical or heart rhythm disorders) specialize in performing a variety of sophisticated procedures that use advanced technology to help, even fix, heart rhythm disorders. These may include:
- Biventricular Pacemaker implantation, to synchronize the heart and improve function.
- Defibrillator/Pacemaker Insertion, to monitor heart rate and provide a shock, as needed, while also helping the heart to beat regularly and at an appropriate rate.
- Catheter ablation, a minimally-invasive treatment that uses an electrode catheter to eliminate abnormal heart rhythms, including atrial fibrillation.
- Cryothermal ablation, an extremely cold energy source used to eliminate abnormal heart rhythms including atrial fibrillation offering an improved safety profile over traditional ablation techniques.
- Minimally invasive MAZE procedure, an advanced surgical-based treatment for patients with more advanced forms of atrial fibrillation.
Conditions we treat for heart rhythm disorders
Soufian AlMahameed, M.D. talks about electrophysiology procedures and what is offered at Carilion Clinic.