The Center for Healthy Aging (CHA) offers:
- Geriatric Assessment Clinic
(comprehensive geriatric assessment)
- Memory Disorders Clinic
- Mild Cognitive Impairment Assessment Clinic
- Geriatric Psychiatry Clinic
- Consultation with primary care physicians
- Nutritional counseling
- Education for families and professionals
- Medical evaluation
- Medication review
- Nursing home outreach/education
- Geriatric consultation in nursing homes
- Medical directors in nursing homes
- Nurse practitioners and physician assistants in nursing homes
- Caregiver support group
- Geriatric inpatient consult service/Inpatient Acute Care for Elderly Unit
- Education and linkage to community resources
- Advance care planning
- Inpatient Palliative Care consultation service
- Inpatient Palliative Care Unit
- Outpatient Palliative Care Clinic
Who would benefit?
Any physician may choose to refer to the CHA for a comprehensive review or second opinion. Older individuals and their families who are dealing with any of the following situations may benefit from an outpatient visit to the CHA:
- Caregiver stress
- Change in mental status
- Consideration of change in living situation
- Death of a loved one
- Dementia/agitation associated with dementia
- Falling or risk of falling
- Loss or change in functional ability
- Memory loss
- Multiple chronic illnesses
- Multiple medications
- Potential for or concern regarding elder abuse, neglect, or financial exploitation
- Please call the CHA at 540-981-7653.
- Appointments are available at one or more of our clinics:
- Geriatric Assessment
- Memory Disorders
- Mild Cognitive Impairment
- Geriatric Psychiatry
- Palliative Care
- Please note that appointments may last from 2 to 2.5 hours, depending on complexity of need. Geriatric Psychiatry Clinic appointments are 1 hour for new patients and 30 minutes for follow-up appointments.
- Follow-up appointments will be scheduled as indicated with the individual clinics, referring health care providers, or other specialists.
- Written recommendations will be shared, as appropriate, with the individual, family, and primary care provider. The CHA does not assume the role of ongoing primary care, but we will work with a patient's physician in consultation, as needed.
Patients may be referred to the CHA, either by a self-referral, referral by physician, or an agency referral. Please call 540-981-7653 to make an appointment.
Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.