Carilion Clinic's Center for Healthy Aging is our outpatient specialty clinic. We offer a comprehensive and integrated approach to addressing the unique needs of older people. We work with physicians, families and individuals to maximize the independence and functional ability of people as they age.
If you're concerned about your family member, let us help. We can provide a comprehensive consultation that will help ensure that your loved one is getting the care and support services he or she needs.
We bring together specialized teams with expertise in geriatric medicine, geriatric psychiatry, counseling, nursing and nutrition. And many of the services and specialties that we recommend are available through Carilion.
The Center for Healthy Aging stresses a proactive approach, so after we conduct the assessment, we will make recommendations about diet, exercise, nutrition and stimulation. We will provide you with the information you need to help your loved one function and will connect you with the resources that will help. Of course, we don't replace your loved one's physicians; we work with them, so we keep them informed and involved.
Services provided by our Center for Healthy Aging:
- Medication Management. Older people tend to have multiple medical problems and take several medications, which can be difficult to manage. Our geriatricians can provide a medical assessment to determine if the drugs are necessary, safe and effective, or if there are better alternatives. Or we can help figure out if some symptoms are related to a drug or a disorder.
- Psychological Support. Geriatric psychiatrists are available to help with emotional and psychological concerns because older people often have depression or other conditions that can be identified and treated.
- Cognitive Evaluation. We can conduct thorough assessments to detect memory disorders and mild cognitive impairment; our clinics provide screening, diagnosis and treatment, including lifestyle management, for people with these conditions.
- Alzheimer's support. Working with the Alzheimer's Association, we develop programs that help people with Alzheimer's and their families.
- Consultation and guidance. Our experts will help with the difficult conversations that family members find so difficult, such as talking about giving up a driver's license, moving to a long-term care facility, or handling end-of-life issues, including advanced directives and hospice care.
Family members are included in all the programs that we offer, and we also offer support groups for caretakers because we know how stressful it can be to help your loved ones.
Please call us at (540) 981-7653 so we can guide you through the process and get you started on the path to healthy aging.
A doctor's referral is needed, and we can help get that set up for you. Appointments are available at the Center for Healthy Aging in Roanoke for assessment and consultation.