Target Audience: Forensic nurses, physicians, law enforcement, social workers
Holiday Inn at Valley View
3315 Ordway Drive, N.W.
Roanoke, VA 24017
- Review common radiologic findings in children with suspected non-accidental trauma.
- Review common radiologic findings in adults who complain of abuse/assault.
- Distinguish between postmortem and ante-mortem changes, and understand the various methods of body disposal in homicides.
- Review injuries consistent with sexually motivated homicides and those that mimic sexual trauma.
- Discuss reasons forensic nurses leave their practice and ways to encourage retention.
- Explore the current issue of untested physical evidence recovery kits (PERKs) and review the Governor’s task force recommendations.
Parking information: Free parking on site
Cost per participant:
- Non-Carilion employees: Call Carilion Direct at 540-266-6000. Fee: $30. JCHS and VTSCOM Students and Carilion retirees: $15.
- Carilion employees: Register using Cornerstone on Demand referencing course #CE908C. Tuition is paid by Carilion Clinic. A signed payroll deduction form is required to confirm registration. Employees who register and do not attend or send an appropriate replacement will be charged a conference fee of $30.
The registration/cancellation deadline for all participants is Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2015. No conference refunds can be provided after Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2015. A conference fee of $30 will be charged to all conference attendees (including Carilion employees) who do not attend and have not cancelled by Tuesday, Dec. 1, 2015. All conference attendees may send an appropriate substitute if they cannot attend the conference.
VNA Contact Hours:
Carilion Clinic is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Virginia Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
**if you need extra room please delete the below speakers list**
- Melissa Harper, M.S.N., R.N., S.A.N.E., A./P., Carilion Clinic
- Donald Kees, M.D., Carilion Clinic
- Robert Salters, M.D., M.S.P.H., Carilion Clinic
- Amy Tharp, M.D., Virginia Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
- Annette Tarpley, R.N., M.S.N., F.N.P.-B.C., Center for Emotional Care
- Theresa Francis, M.S.F.S., American Board of Criminalistics and Virginia Department of Forensic Science Central Laboratory
ADA information: For questions about accessibility or to request accommodations, please contact Loretta Hall at least two weeks prior to the seminar date.
Loretta F. Hall, M.Ed., conference planner
Human Resources Training and Development