No one wants or plans to have a medical emergency but whether it is for you, a friend or a family member, there may come a day when you need expert emergency care, quickly. You can rely on Carilion Clinic, where we are widely recognized for our pre-eminent emergency care.
No matter your situation, you can rest assured knowing that our dedicated medical specialists will give you the compassionate, individualized treatment you need. As a Level I Trauma Center, we have the expertise and equipment to handle even the most severe medical emergencies and we take every patient's problem seriously. Whether you're worried about a heart attack or stroke, an injury or are experiencing other serious symptoms, we're responsive, technologically advanced and committed to providing the safest and highest quality patient care.
From our 24-hour air and ground patient transport services to our Level I Trauma Center and specialized emergency medicine centers, we have developed streamlined protocol which puts you in the hands of the best possible care team—quickly.
For non-life threatening issues that need care and attention, our VelocityCare network of urgent care clinics, staffed with highly skilled specialists in emergency medicine, is open every day of the year.
Our Emergency and Urgent Care centers include:
- Carilion Clinic Patient Transportation (CCPT) - the region's premier ground and air transport
- Western Virginia's regional Level I Trauma Center
- Specialized emergency medicine centers for stroke, chest pain, pediatric patients and trauma surgical care
- Specially trained forensic nursing professionals for victims of assault and domestic abuse
- VelocityCare Urgent Care centers
We know that you would rather be feeling well or resting at home. But when you need hospital care, please know that we are committed to protecting our patients from medical errors and hospital-acquired infections. Our safety programs, including our hand-washing protocol, pre-emptive infection screenings, and fall reduction programs, are aimed at ensuring people leave our facilities healthier and feeling better. We also have installed alarm systems and established coding methods for added security. From the time you arrive to the time you head home, you will be well cared for and kept safe.
We provide world-class emergency care right here in our community so no one has to travel a long distance to get well. Within Carilion's warm, compassionate environment, our staff of dedicated medical professionals will orchestrate your treatment using the most advanced equipment and methodologies available.
Some of our advanced technologies and services include:
- 64 Slice CT and PET CT scans - faster scan times and better resolution allow for more highly precise images than standard CT and PET/CT scanning.
- 3T MAGNETOM Verio MRI - Advanced imaging technology and an oversized scan space provide for a shorter, more comfortable experience for patients of all shapes and sizes.
WHERE TO GO
If you experience any of the following symptoms, always call 911 for immediate care or go to the closest local emergency room:
- Loss of consciousness
- Heart attack symptoms
- Stroke symptoms
- Difficulty breathing
- Uncontrollable bleeding
- Sudden, severe pain
- Head trauma
- Vomiting or coughing up blood
- Severe or persistent vomiting
- Suicidal feelings
Call your Primary Care Physician as a first option in these situations.
- Minor cuts and lacerations
- Colds, coughs, sore throat
- Skin rashes
- Insect bites / minor dog bites
- Minor cooking burns
- Minor infections