Breast cancer remains the most common cancer in women in the U.S., affecting one in every eight women (12%). The good news is that great strides have been made in the fight against breast cancer. The number of women diagnosed with breast cancer is declining while the percentage of women who survive the disease is increasing.
Carilion Clinic is committed to ensuring that every woman in our Virginia community has prompt and easy access to the medical resources she needs to screen for or diagnose breast cancer – including routine mammograms, accurate diagnostic imaging, special counseling and genetic testing for those at high risk for breast cancer.
The Carilion Clinic Breast Care Center is a local and national leader in breast cancer screening, diagnosis and treatment. We believe in an interdisciplinary approach to the treatment of breast cancer. Our skilled and compassionate integrated care team provides:
- Nurse navigation, to provide individualized care, support and education throughout the cancer treatment journey
- Weekly cancer treatment planning conferences, so every woman receives the benefit of the combined expertise of a team of specialists
- Large format pathology a more accurate imaging approach that may lower the rate of breast cancer recurrence.
- Breast MRI, an advanced technology that allows for more precisely targeted treatment.
EXCEPTIONAL BREAST CANCER TREATMENT IN VIRGINIA
Our cancer treatment program, in collaboration with the physicians of Blue Ridge Cancer Care, provides the full range of breast cancer treatments, including chemotherapy and radiation, on both an in-patient and out-patient basis. We emphasize a multidisciplinary approach to care. Every patient benefits from the collaborative knowledge and experience of our panel of experts, including oncologists, radiation oncologists, breast surgeons and plastic surgeons. Our goal is to provide the information you need so you can make the best possible decision about your care.
Carilion's experienced surgeons provide timely and comprehensive care for all stages of breast cancer, including:
- Conservation Surgery
- Sentinel Node Biopsy
- Skin-Sparing Mastectomy
- Reconstructive Surgery
We offer a wide range of supportive services and therapies for women with breast cancer, including:
- Breast Cancer Rehabilitation Program, coordinated by a registered nurse to provide the education and support you need during this critical time of your life.
- Complementary Therapies, including yoga, meditation, massage, exercise, counseling, and meeting with support groups.
- Counseling, with a licensed clinical therapist, through diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.
- Second Opinion Breast Cancer Program, with appointments scheduled quickly, to help you comprehensively explore and evaluate all treatment options.