Dr. Arnold Salzberg discusses appropriate candidates for weight loss surgeryand how to register for a free information session.
Welcome to Carilion Clinic’s Weight Loss Center. If you are severely obese and have weight-related health conditions, bariatric (weight loss) surgery may be the answer. More than two decades of medical research suggest that it is the only approach that provides consistent, permanent weight loss for “morbidly obese” individuals who want to reclaim their health by losing weight.
We offer a bariatric surgical program, as well as a medical weight loss program. Our team will work with you to determine if surgery is the right choice. In the event that it is, we will help you decide which type of bariatric procedure is best for you.
The content you will find here will help to support you in your weight loss journey and should serve as a reference guide along the way. All procedures are performed with minimally invasive techniques by our advanced laparoscopic surgeons.
As a successful patient in this program, you will enjoy the benefits of not only weight loss, but also significant reductions in weight-related medical problems. Therefore, it is important to understand that weight loss surgery is merely a stepping stone in your journey to a healthier you. It is a lifestyle change that requires constant attention to your diet and exercise routines. Because of this, we provide ongoing support for as long as you need it.
Once the decision is made to proceed with surgery, you will need to do the following:
- IF YOU SMOKE, STOP SMOKING!! This must be done 2 months prior to surgery.
- Begin a high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet. This is important because it will help to shrink the liver.
- Stop all carbonated beverages. This is a lifetime commitment.
- Stop all beverages that contain caffeine. This is for the first 6 months.
- Begin a routine exercise program. Consult your physician first.
- Begin cutting food into small pieces (pinky nail size) and practice chewing very well.
- Stop any over-the-counter herbal supplements.
- Join the support group and begin coming to monthly support meetings.
- Have your physician convert all extended/time-released medications to non-extended, non-time-released or liquid medications.
Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital is nationally recognized as a Center of Excellence for weight loss surgery.