Some people require physical therapy after an illness, injury or surgical procedure. For others, normal aging or chronic disability may have affected your ability to go about your day being as physically active and independent as you want to be. If you find yourself in such a situation, know that Carilion Clinic offers extensive physical therapy services that can be very helpful in relieving pain and discomfort, restoring function and movement, and promoting healing and confidence.
Our physical therapists are highly skilled and trained in developing, maintaining and restoring maximum physical movement and ability. Their goal is always to help you live your life safely and comfortably.
Anyone who has been in an accident, has an injury, or is recovering from surgery can benefit from physical therapy. People with a chronic or progressive illness, such as arthritis or Parkinson’s disease, can often see a reduction of symptoms and improved independence.
Physical therapy programs are individualized to each patient. Your program may include exercises and activities to improve your endurance, balance, coordination, or range of motion.
Treatment options we offer include:
- Lymphedema rehabilitation, to reduce discomfort, swelling and risk of infection
- Parkinson’s disease rehabilitation, helpful in slowing symptoms in patients who’ve been diagnosed with Parkinson’s
- Pelvic floor rehabilitation, to help men and women with urinary or fecal incontinence or pelvic pain
- Vestibular rehabilitation, for people with balance issues that affect the inner ear
- Dry needling, technique similar to acupuncture that stimulates healing in tissue
- Water therapy
- Pediatric physical therapy, specialized therapy for young patients
We will be happy to meet with you if your doctor thinks that you can benefit from physical therapy.