When you need surgery for a cardiac condition, you may dread the consequences of traditional open procedures - the large incision, the cracked open chest, the spread ribs - but now there is a new minimally invasive, closed chest option.
At Carilion Clinic, our skilled team of cardiac surgeons performs complex procedures utilizing the da Vinci ® system, providing enhanced vision, precision, dexterity and control. Because your surgeon performs da Vinci Surgery through a few small minimally invasive incisions between your ribs, splitting your breastbone and ribcage is avoided.
Compared to traditional open surgery, da Vinci Cardiac Surgery offers you the following potential benefits:
- Lower risk of a major cardiac event the first year after surgery
- Less blood loss and need for blood transfusions
- Less time in intensive care
- Lower rate of major complications
- Shorter hospital stay
- Faster recovery and return to normal daily activities