Carilion has invested in the advanced technology needed for fast, accurate diagnosis of acute neurological conditions, including:
- High field MRI, using powerful magnets to produce detailed images of the brain and spine.
- Open MRI, which is less restricting and more comfortable for patients with claustrophobia or anxiety
- MRI spectroscopy, to create chemical profiles of brain lesions
- Functional MRI, to map out important areas of the brain.
- MR and CT angiography, systems that can image the vessels of the brain, neck and spine without having to pass catheters passed into arteries
- PET scan, an imaging system useful in detecting certain forms of cancer
- Micro-angiography, catheter-based blood-vessel studies to look for abnormalities such as aneurysms of the brain
State-of-the-art equipment that enables Carilion doctors to perform the latest, most innovative neurosurgical procedures includes:
- Advanced, image-guided brain & spine navigational systems, allowing surgeons to use computer assistance to help precisely locate lesions in the brain or spine
- Micro-angiographic therapies, threading catheters through blood vessels deep into the brain to eradicate or treat strokes, aneurysms, blood vessel abnormalities, and tumors
- Modern surgical microscopes, to reduce disturbance of tissues surrounding lesions of the brain and spine
- Minimally invasive equipment, allowing surgery to be done through smaller incisions
- Endoscopy systems, that allow surgeons to treat brain and spine lesions via tubes equipped with tiny cameras
- IMRT radiation therapy, to concentrate radiation on a small area of brain and spine
- CyberKnife stereotactic radiosurgery, using computer technology and robotics to precisely deliver radiation while leaving surrounding tissue unharmed