Research Resources at Carilion Clinic
The Carilion Clinic Office of Sponsored Projects (OSP) offers various resources and educational handbooks for medical research.
OSP Administrative Handbooks
- Introduction: An introduction to the Office of Sponsored Projects, processes, policies and forms and a general description of principal investigator responsibilities
- Clinical Trials Start-Up: Start-up processes for industry sponsored and government sponsored clinical trials
- Proposal Submission Guidelines: Details the steps from identifying potential grant funding and submitting a proposal to award notification
- Post Award: Details the steps of post award processes including expenditures, effort reporting and overhead.
- Clinical Research Billing Manual: Outlines the required steps to maintaining clinical research billing compliance with EPIC and other software
Research Acceleration Program (RAP)
The Office of Sponsored Projects offers the RAP Guidelines handbook, which is a general award guidelines resource, including eligibility, funding limits, application instructions, administration of awards and selection criteria.
- Definitions: Definitions of common terms associated with sponsored projects
- Pre-Award FAQ: Short presentation on commonly asked questions pertaining to submitting grants
- Post-Award FAQ: Short presentation on commonly asked questions pertaining to awarded grants
- FCOI Tutorial: NIH Financial Conflict of Interest tutorial. Please also see Carilion's policy and form
- Most Frequent NIH Funding Mechanisms: NIH uses activity codes (e.g. R01, R43, etc.) to differentiate the wide variety of research-related programs we support. Not all NIH Institutes and Centers accept applications for all types of grant programs; participation is listed in each Funding Opportunity Announcement.
Other Educational Resources
- Carilion Clinic/Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine and Research Institute Research Poster Templates
- CITI Training: Required by the IRB for all researchers conducting human subjects research
- NIH Training: An optional training module sponsored by the NIH
- NIH Principles & Practices of Clinical Research Modules: NIH Principles & Practice of Clinical Research modules
- FDA Warning Letters and Responses: See what mistakes have been made recently by other institutions
- Checklist for Investigators: Carilion Clinic IRB Research Organization Checklist is a tool designed to provide guidance to researchers in complying with Good Clinical Practice recommendations in maintaining appropriate study documentation