Asthma makes it difficult to breathe at times but we can help you control your asthma and keep you out of the hospital.
Carilion Clinic's board-certified pulmonologists, with special training in asthma care, provide risk assessments, allergy testing, lung function testing, individualized action plans, and education. We will teach you how to prevent episodes of asthma and also how to take care of yourself during an episode, including how to use your medication properly.
Some of the asthma disorders we treat are:
- Intrinsic asthma (caused by non-allergens, such as hormones, exercise, emotions or cold)
- Extrinsic asthma (resulting from an allergic reaction to a foreign substance)
- Occupational asthma (from exposure to substances in the workplace, such as fumes or dust)
- Uncertain diagnosis, with asthma being a consideration
Carilion asthma services include:
- Asthma diagnosis and management
- Chronic cough diagnosis and management
- Exhaled nitric oxide testing
- Pulmonary Function testing including methacholine challenges
- Allergy testing
- Xolair infusion for severe extrinsic asthma
- Asthma education