Physician Faculty members in busy healthcare systems face increasingly competitive claims on their time as medical educators and clinicians. Simultaneously, the national medical education environment is demanding more sophisticated, innovative teaching practices to foster learning outcomes that can be measured, documented and replicated. Balancing these demands can be challenging. This is certainly true at Carilion Clinic, where we teach a broad spectrum of learners, from first-year medical students and physician assistant students to residents and fellows.
Continuing Professional Development offers an opportunity for physicians to prepare for multiple roles as educators. The Carilion Clinic Medical Educator Fellowship (MEF) is tailored to those who are interested in educational leadership. Participants learn and apply theories and practices in medical education, educational research, and the fundamentals teaching. An emphasis of the MEF is to provide opportunities for participants to put educational theory into practice.
Nominated by Department Chairs, Section Chiefs, and Deans, MEF participants commit to a nine-month program which includes the implementation of an Education Project. One may also self-nominate but endorsement by the Department Chair is still required.
Sample of Medical Educator Fellowship Presentation Topics
- Assessment and Evaluation
- Curriculum Design
- Being an Educator
- Educational Planning
- Educational / Clinical Research
- Teaching and Learning
- Teaching at the Bedside and in the Ambulatory Care Clinic
- Multimedia for Educational Purposes
- Educational Research and Scholarly Teaching
The sessions are presented by educational specialists from across the Carilion system.
Previous Educational Projects Developed by Participants
- Developing a Curriculum for Geriatric Psychiatry Rotation
- Developing an Echocardiography Core Curriculum for the Cardiology Fellowship
- IM Coronary Care Unit Rotation Assessment of Resident's Learning Experience
- Showing That Basal Bolus Insulin is Safer Than Regular Sliding Scale
- How to Recognize & Treat Several Medical Issues that Occur Only in Patients with Spinal Cord Injuries & TBI
- Advanced Electrophysiology (EP) Rotation for General Cardiology Fellows
- A Pilot Study Utilizing Audio and Video Analysis of Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomies for Resident Education.
- A Two-Week Clerkship for 3rd Year Medical Students in the Department of Imaging Services
If you are interested in completing the MEF, please contact us at 853-0131 for Sandy DeHart.