Growth problems, puberty challenges, diabetes or other disorders related to the hormones and the glands that produce them are treated by pediatric endocrinologists.
Hormones are the chemical messengers that send signals to other cells in your body. Your child's hormones are responsible for many different body functions, including growth, metabolism, bone health, reproduction, regulation of blood pressure and body temperature, and much more. When your hormones are in balance, your body works well.
The endocrine system is responsible for manufacturing and transmitting these hormones, so when you have an endocrine problem, it's important that you're treated by an endocrinologist who can recognize the problem and help restore your body's natural balance.
Carilion Clinic's team of expert pediatric endocrinologists treats children with disorders involving hormones and the metabolism, including:
- Growth problems, such as short stature
- Early or delayed puberty
- Enlarged thyroid gland
- Underactive or overactive thyroid gland
- Pituitary gland hypo/hyper function
- Adrenal gland hypo/hyper function
- Disorders of sexual development
- Ovarian and testicular dysfunction
- Diabetes (type 1 & type 2)
- Low blood sugar (hypoglycemia)
- Insulin resistance
- Problems with Vitamin D, including rickets and low calcium