Whatever the source, chronic and ongoing pain makes life difficult. Whether you are suffering from sudden and persistent pain following an injury or illness or pain that results from a chronic condition, it brings your mood down and makes everyday activities difficult.
You don’t have to live with your pain. Carilion Clinic is pleased to be able to offer a comprehensive array of pain management solutions to people who are suffering the effects of chronic pain. Our highly trained specialists provide warm, compassionate, and supportive care. We will work with you to identify the source of your pain and determine the best way to treat it. We can help you feel better.
There are plenty of medications available for masking pain. At our Interventional Pain Management Clinic, however, we prefer to treat pain at its root. We draw upon alternative and mainstream medical techniques to find ways to relieve your suffering and get you back to feeling great without relying entirely on prescription drugs.
Some of the methods used at Carilion include:
- Epidural injections, which places pain management medications, including numbing agents and/or anti-inflammatory steroids, directly into the epidural space, right outside the spinal cord
- Steroid injections, in which cortisone is injected directly into the area where pain is being experienced
- Trigger point injections, which is an injection of pain medicine, and sometimes steroids, into a trigger point, or a knot of muscle that won’t relax
- Acupuncture, a traditional Chinese medicine technique utilizing needles (painless) injected into certain points of the body to redirect energy flow
- Local electrical pulse stimulation, which is mild electrical pulses delivered to the area where pain is felt
- Chiropractor referrals