Carilion Clinic Occupational Medicine offers all classes of Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) physical exams – from student through ATP, pilots of all experience levels are welcome. In addition to being a FAA-designated Aviation Medical Examiner (AME), our physician, Hetzal Hartley, M.D., M.P.H., has over 17 years of experience as a USAF Chief Flight Surgeon. He has also been an active civilian pilot for more than 25 years.
How to get started:
- Visit the FAA MedXPress website to electronically complete items 1 through 20 on the FAA Form 8500-8.
- Print the application summary and your confirmation number.
- Call Carilion Clinic Occupational Medicine to make an appointment for your examination at 540-985-8521.
What to bring to your appointment:
- Printed application summary and confirmation number from the FAA MedXPress website.
- A valid, government issued picture ID (driver’s license or passport).
- Health documentation, including a list of your medications.
- Glasses, contact lenses, or hearing aids, if required.
What to expect:
MedXPress is designed to expedite the processing of your request for certification and shorten your office visit with our AME, Dr. Hartley. The information entered into MedXPress will be transmitted to the FAA and will be available for your AME to review at the time of your medical examination.