When stroke happens, minutes matter. You can trust Carilion Clinic to deliver care quickly, when it can make all the difference between life and death, between recovering completely or living with brain damage. Our certified Stroke Center in Virginia, is staffed with skilled medical professionals who’ve been trained to use sophisticated technology and the latest treatment methods. We ensure that every stroke patient receives the necessary care to enhance the odds of a full recovery and return to a normal, healthy, and active life.
The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations has designated Carilion a Primary Stroke Center, a certification that demonstrates that we give every stroke patient the care that has been proven to lead to the best possible outcome, following guidelines set by the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association. Earning this prestigious designation means Carilion has met rigorous standards for quality and patient care.
A stroke is a sudden problem that affects the blood vessels of the brain. There are three types of stroke:
- Ischemic, caused by a clot or blocked artery that interrupts blood flow to the brain. 80% of strokes are ischemic strokes.
- Intracerebral Hemorrhage, caused by the sudden rupture of an artery that causes bleeding within the brain.
- Subarachnoid Hemorrhage, a sudden rupture of an artery that leads to bleeding in the space around the brain.
Carilion's multidisciplinary team provides stroke care of the highest quality every step of the way, With our Stroke Alert program, trained EMS professionals begin care en route to our emergency room. Upon arrival, doctors, nurses, and technicians work as a team to perform diagnostic tests and, when appropriate, deliver brain-saving treatments within the important three-hour window when damage can be minimized. Treatment, including rehabilitation and extensive patient education begins immediately upon admission to the hospital. At every step of the way, we follow treatment protocols shown to give patients the best possible odds of complete recovery from stroke.
Stroke Services at Carilion Clinic
At Carilion, stroke patients receive the care that will make a difference.
We encourage everyone in our western Virginia community to be aware of the five signs of stroke and to call 911 immediately if you’re with a person who exhibits any signs of stroke.
Carilion Clinic Living - Stroke Awareness
- Know the Five, Stay Alive!
- The five signs of stroke include:
- 1. Walk (loss of balance)
- 2. Talk (slurred speech or droopy face)
- 3. Reach (numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body)
- 4. See (impaired vision or difficulty seeing in one or both eyes)
- 5. Feel (severe headache with no known cause)
Building Stronger Systems of Stroke Care
Carilion Clinic is proud to be part of the Virginia Stroke Task Force, a state-wide initiative to improve the care of stroke patients. Below Sidney Mallenbaum, M.D., a Carilion Clinic neurologist and medical director of Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital’s Primary Stroke Center explains why this statewide collaboration is so important to the future of stroke care.