We believe that breastfeeding is the best feeding, and our team of board certified lactation consultants is here to instill confidence in new moms as we teach you how to successfully nurse your baby.
Call your Carilion Clinic lactation consultant if:
- You have questions or concerns about any aspect of breastfeeding.
- You are taking medications and plan to breastfeed.
- You have flat or inverted nipples.
- You previously tried to nurse and had problems.
- You want to nurse your adopted baby.
- Your baby refuses to breastfeed.
- You experience pain while nursing.
- Your baby is not having at least three to four bowel movements and five wet diapers in a 24-hour period.
- Your baby is sleepy and hard to wake up.
- You feel that your milk supply is low.
- Your baby is not gaining weight appropriately.
- You intend to return to work or school and need guidance.
- You need help selecting a breast pump or nursing bra.
- You need assurance that breastfeeding is going smoothly.
- You’ve decided to stop breastfeeding and need guidance.
We provide free consultation services, including:
- Inpatient consults: We encourage new parents to schedule an inpatient visit with us.
- Outpatient consults: Personalized outpatient breastfeeding consults are available Monday – Friday by appointment.
- Baby weight checks: We provide baby weight checks to help monitor babies’ growth.
- Returning-to-work consults: We can assist in breast pump selection and use, as well as milk storage and transport.
- Bra-fitting consults: Measurements and bra fitting consultations are available both prior to delivery and during breastfeeding.
We also offer breastfeeding classes, where parents can:
- Learn the advantages of breastfeeding for mother, baby and family.
- Learn techniques and guidelines for successful breastfeeding.
- Become aware of common problems and solutions.
- Learn practical information about working and breastfeeding.