Carilion researchers that conduct studies with external funding will need to take online education modules on financial conflict of interest beginning August 24, 2012. The education is one of the new requirements of a revised federal regulation. Please read the news article for full information, as well as, the new Financial Conflict of Interest Policy.
The Institutional Review Board is a committee charged with protecting the rights and welfare of human subjects involved in research. Before research can be conducted by Carilion employees or at Carilion facilities, it must be reviewed and approved by the IRB.
Carilion Clinic has established two IRB committees composed of members from a variety of medical and scientific backgrounds. Community members are also represented. The IRB members are appointed by the vice president for Academic Affairs.
The Carilion Clinic IRB reviews the research protocol, the informed consent document that is signed by subjects, any advertising used to recruit subjects and other relevant documents.
- In order to be approved by the IRB, a research study must:
- • Provide research subjects with complete information in simple, understandable terms so that they can give informed consent.
- • Protect the physical, psychological and economic well being of subjects.
- • Be fair and impartial in selecting and dealing with research subjects.
- • Respect the rights of research subjects and protect the confidentiality of information about them.
To contact the Carilion Clinic Institutional Review Board, please call or write: Carilion Clinic IRB
2001 Crystal Spring Avenue, Suite 202
Roanoke, VA 24014
For information regarding human research subjects protections or rights:
Dr. Charles Schleupner, Chair, Carilion IRB
For questions about federal regulations, unanticipated risks, conflict of interest or research misconduct:
Chuck Hite, Director, Biomedical and Research Ethics
For information regarding expedited or exempt study submissions, QA/QI or compliance:
Julie Wimmer, IRB Regulatory Affairs Administrator
For information regarding full-board submissions, IRB meetings or education:
Meredith Talmadge, IRB Administrator
OHRP Video Links