Video: Walter Davis Jr., M.D. talks about the services offered in Carilion's comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation program.
After an accident or illness, some patients need intensive therapy before they can leave the hospital.
We offer speech and language, physical, and occupational therapy, as well as nursing services, provided by a team of dedicated professionals who share a common goal: to return patients as soon as possible to their home or home-like setting. And we are proud that our comprehensive approach helps over 80 percent of our patients achieve this goal.
Inpatient rehabilitation may be available to patients who:
- Require 24-hour medical supervision but are medically stable.
- Are able to tolerate three to four hours of therapy per day.
- Require moderate to maximum assistance with mobility, speech, language or activities of daily living.
- Require an interdisciplinary approach of at least two services, including physical, occupational or speech therapy.
- Have potential to improve function and can demonstrate new learning.
- Have the participation and support of family upon discharge.
The Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Consult Team is responsible for determining if a patient meets criteria for admission to Carilion Clinic Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation. Decisions are based on, but not limited to, the following requirements.
- Medicare guidelines
- Internal guidelines and other similar guidelines used by commercial insurances
- The ability of the Carilion Clinic Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation to meet the clinical needs of the patient.
Medical Necessity and Appropriateness for Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation
- The patient’s medical condition(s) must require 24 hour availability of a physician and must be greater than that normally provided to a patient in a skilled nursing facility.
- The patient must be able to benefit from and actively participate in intensive rehabilitation. Meaningful benefit is considered significant practical improvement in a reasonable period of time. Our average length of stay is 12 days, although this does depend on the diagnosis. Active participation includes the ability to follow at least 50% of commands and the ability to tolerate 3 hours of therapy daily for 4 days per week. Special exceptions can be made for certain patients (dialysis, radiation) to complete 15 hours of therapy in 7 days, but these exceptions are rare
- The patient must require intensive therapies in 2 of the 4 following disciplines:
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Language Pathology
Our inpatient rehabilitation facility is located at Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital. All rooms are private and offer beautiful views of the Roanoke Valley, Mill Mountain or downtown Roanoke. Physician coverage is available around the clock, and our nursing staff has received specialized training in rehabilitation.
This is another one of our therapy rooms.
This is a therapy room where our physical therapists work with their patients.
Here is another look at one of our therapy rooms.
Our inpatient rehabilitation unit has views that cannot be beat, including some with a view of downtown Roanoke.
This is another example of a standard patient room.
This is an example of a standard patient room.