An estimated five million Americans live with heart failure, a medical term that describes a heart that is still working but is no longer pumping as strongly or filling as effectively as it once did. The term “heart failure” describes damage that has resulted from long-standing heart disease or from a severe heart attack. At Carilion Clinic, we have specialized expertise in helping patients throughout Virginia with heart failure live well as possible for as long as possible.
Heart failure may result from any or all of the following:
- Heart valve disease
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Arrhythmias (irregular heart rate)
- Previous heart attack(s)
- Excessive sodium intake
- Sleep apnea
Carilions dedicated inpatient Heart Failure Unit and our outpatient Heart Failure Clinic, are staffed with specialists and support staff who’ve completed extensive training in the care of heart failure patients. Our goal is always to improve your overall quality of life. In addition to providing lifestyle support, information and education focused on helping you to maintain a normal life, we provide the full complement of advanced heart failure treatments, including medical management and surgery.
Also, Carilion is proud to provide an innovative new and highly specialized heart failure treatment for severe patients in the form of a left ventricular assist device (LVAD), called the HeartMate II.
- Congestive Heart Failure Care at Carilion Clinic
- Know the Five - Don't Ignore the Signs of Heart Failure
- 1. Weight gain - 2-3 pounds in one day
- 2. Shortness of breath -with little change in activity
- 3. Increased swelling - in feet, legs or abdomen
- 4. Heart rate - fast or irregular
- 5. Fatigue - more than usual