Digestive problems are among the most common reasons people visit their doctors. At Carilion Clinic, our expert gastroenterologists are skilled in evaluating and treating people with disorders of the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon, liver, gall bladder, and pancreas.
We offer a wide range of advanced diagnostic and treatment options for gastrointestinal disorders. We perform endoscopic (non-surgical) procedures under intravenous sedation so you can be relaxed and comfortable. Some of the services we offer are listed below.
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), combining endoscopy and x-ray, used to examine and treat problems of the bile and pancreatic ducts. ERCP is frequently used to remove gallstones.
- Upper endoscopy (EGD), which allows us to see and treat the esophagus, stomach and the beginning of the small intestine.
- Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS), which combines the flexibility of an endoscope with the high-quality images of ultrasound, and can be used to diagnose and treat many problems of the pancreas, bile duct, esophagus, stomach and colon.
- Colonoscopy, an examination of the inside of the colon and rectum. This test can detect ulcers and growths (polyps) inside the colon. If polyps are found, they can be removed at the same time. Colonoscopy looks for early signs of colon cancer and can help diagnose problems related to bleeding, abdominal pain or changes in bowel habits. Colonoscopy not only looks for colon cancer, but can prevent it as well.
- Capsule endoscopy, which uses a pill-sized camera patients swallow that takes pictures inside the GI tract that are sent to a receiver worn outside the body, allowing doctors to see what’s happening as your body digests food.
We offer multidisciplinary care for digestive and pancreatic disease, with highly skilled specialists in surgery, oncology, radiation therapy, pathology and imaging.
Some of the conditions we treat are:
- Inflammatory bowel diseases, such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
- Colon polyps and cancer
- Esophageal disorders, such as gastroesophageal reflux disorder (GERD) and Barrett's esophagus
- Diseases and cancers of the pancreas and bile ducts
- Gastrointestinal motility disorders, such as irritable bowel syndrome, constipation, and delayed gastric emptying.