Endoscopy is a non-surgical, minimally invasive procedure designed to examine, diagnose and treat gastroenterological conditions from the inside, using a flexible tube attached with a light and camera. The physician uses an endoscope for a visual inspection to identify illnesses as well as for biopsies and retrieval of foreign objects.
There are many services provided for patients requiring endoscopy. Below is an abbreviated list of the services that you may receive at Carilion Clinic.
- Bronchoscopy - to look inside the airway
- Colonoscopy - to view the colon and lower digestive tract, this procedure is routinely performed as part of a preventive health program
- Small Bowel Enteroscopy - to view the upper digestive tract
- Rectal Ultrasound - to create an image of any rectal polyps or cancers, infections or muscle damage using high frequency sound waves
- Capsule Endoscopy - captures images using a camera in a pill-sized capsule
- Multiple lab services including: Blood Tests, Helicobactor Pylori Tests, Urine Tests, Fecal Analysis, Biopsy, Cultures, and Cytology
- 24-hour pH monitoring - to determine if you have GERD
Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)
Paul Yeaton, M.D., a leading gastroenterologist recognized for performing and teaching advanced endoscopic techniques, has started performing endoscopic ultrasounds (EUS), a new procedure at Carilion Clinic.
EUS is used to evaluate and treat diseases of the esophagus, stomach, liver, pancreas, colon, and rectum. It is an important adjunct to surgery for cancers.
Dr. Yeaton also specializes in performing advanced endoscopic examinations of the colon and stomach, which includes non-surgical management of large lesions and polyps of the stomach, duodenum, and colon.
Endoscopy is used to diagnose various gastroenterological and pulmonolary issues. Some of the issues identified and treated at Carilion Clinic may be:
- Esophageal problems
- Digestive problems including G.I. bleeding, Crohn's Disease, gastric or peptic ulcers, etc.
- Removal of foreign or ingested bodies
- Pre and post-surgical screening and follow up