Gastroenterology is a medical specialty that treats disorders of the stomach, intestines, and liver.
Digestive problems are among the most common reasons people visit their doctors. At Carilion Clinic, our expert gastroenterologists are skilled in evaluating and treating people with disorders of the esophagus, stomach, small intestine, colon, liver, gall bladder, and pancreas.
We offer multidisciplinary care for digestive and pancreatic disease, with highly skilled specialists in surgery, oncology, radiation therapy, pathology and imaging.
Some of the conditions we treat are:
- Inflammatory bowel diseases, such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
- Colon polyps and cancer
- Esophageal disorders such as gastroesophageal reflux disorder (GERD) and Barrett's esophagus
- Diseases and cancers of the pancreas and bile ducts
- Functional gastrointestinal disorders
- Liver diseases
We offer a wide range of advanced diagnostic and treatment options for gastrointestinal disorders. We perform endoscopic (non-surgical) procedures under intravenous sedation so you can be relaxed and comfortable. Some of the services we offer are listed below.
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Upper endoscopy (EGD)
- Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)
- Capsule endoscopy
Video: Paul Yeaton, M.D., chief of Gastroenterology discusses colon cancer and when to get screened.