Shadow Visits for Medical Students and Residents
If you are scheduled for a residency interview or have been interviewed and would like to shadow our staff, please contact the residency program to schedule the visit. To shadow under other circumstances, submit the applicable application below prior to the deadline in the cover letter. Other forms are at the bottom of this page.
- Unfortunately we are no longer able to offer shadow visits to externs (medical school graduates).
Clinical Rotations for Medical Students
Under no circumstances may students make arrangements with faculty or staff members independently from Carilion’s Visiting Student Affairs Office.
Prerequisites for Applying
- You must be a native-born U.S. citizen, naturalized U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or have entered the United States on a B1 or F1 visa.
- You must be fluent in written and spoken English.
- You must have taken and passed the USMLE or COMLEX Step 1 exam.
- Your school must list us as an affiliated teaching site. If it does not and is a US school, e-mail us your school’s clinical office contact information (confirm with your school before emailing). We will notify you when the affiliation is finalized so you may apply. In the event we are unable to finalize an affiliation with your school, you may apply for the three-day shadow visit above.
1. Rotations in a Private Practice
Third- and fourth-year students who meet the above criteria and plan to rotate with a physician in private practice may accompany that physician into a Carilion facility by applying for a Private Preceptorship. Students from unaffiliated schools may accompany the physician into Carilion, but to shadow for 3 days only and must complete the shadow application above. Other forms are at the bottom of this page.
2. Electives/Selectives with Residency Faculty
Fourth-year students wanting rotations with residency faculty at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital must apply. (If you are interested in pursuing residency here, you need to know that our residency programs sponsor only J-1 Visas.)
In addition to the above criteria, applicants must, by the time of the rotation, be a fourth-year student, must have complete their schools' core rotations, and must meet the above criteria.
July 2013 through June 2014 course descriptions and course prerequisites will be added as they become available.
- Emergency Medicine
- Family Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Orthopaedic/MSK Surgery
- All programs except Surgery* reserve July through January for students interested in applying for that Carilion residency. Before applying for these audition rotations, determine whether or not you meet that particular program's residency criteria. Click on Graduate Education & CME, click on the residency page, and then click “Applying” at the top of the left column. (*Surgery does not place inherent value in "audition" rotations so consider applications for students not necessarily pursuing Carilion residency programs.)
- Rotations are Monday through Friday for the number of weeks specified in the course description.
- You may not take time off on the scheduled arrival date.
- You may rotate a maximum of 8 weeks.
- Completed applications must be received 45 days prior to the start date.
See the Attendance Policy.
Housing & Transportation
Students must provide their own transportation and housing.
- We do not accept faxed or scanned applications, applications that students mail directly to us, or applications arriving fewer than 45 days prior to arrival.
- We cannot process applications missing information or documentation.
- The ONLY immunization record we accept is the Carilion Immunization Record. To get your application to us faster, have a health care professional summarize your individual immunization records onto the Carilion Immunization Record before sending it to your school’s clinical office.
- Confirm with your school what documentation listed in Section II of the Application the school will send us. Then include the rest of what is listed with your application before sending it to your school.
- Rotations are scheduled on a first-approved, first-served basis.
- Retain a copy of all paperwork for future reference.
See the application cover letter.
On rare occasions, circumstances necessitate dropping a confirmed rotation, however, students are expected to honor their commitments once rotations are confirmed.
Applications & Forms
- Shadow Application for UVa and VCOM Third- and Fourth-Year Med Students
- Shadow Application for All Other Med Students
- Private Preceptor Application
- Elective/Selective Application for UVa Med Students
- Elective/Selective Application for VCOM Med Students
- Elective/Selective Application for All Other Med Students
- Carilion Immunization Record
- Carilion Access & Confidentiality Agreement
- Carilion Participation Agreement
- Carilion Student Guidelines