All application materials must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). Our program is accredited by both the American Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and the American Osteopathic Association (AOA). Osteopathic medical students may apply through the osteopathic and allopathic ERAS. We participate in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) and osteopathic National Matching Service (NMS). Osteopathic students have the option of ranking and matching with us through either or both matching services. If you are an osteopathic student and you match with our program through either service, you must meet the AOA and ACGME requirements for graduation.
Application to our program is highly competitive. Listed below are some key items that we look for in candidates:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Minimum USMLE scores of 200 on Steps 1 and 2 CK
- Minimum COMLEX scores 500 on Levels 1 and 2
- Passed USMLE and/or COMLEX exams on the first attempt
- Dean’s letter
- Medical school transcript>
- Three letters of recommendation
- Graduation from medical school within the previous five years
For international graduates:
- At least six months of direct patient care experience in the U.S., Canadian or British systems
- No observerships are accepted
- ECFMG certification if applicable
- J-1 visas are sponsored (not H-1B)
Please contact us for more information regarding the Carilion Clinic - Virginia Tech Carilion Internal Medicine Residency. We look forward to discussing our exceptional program with you.