Thank you for your interest in the Carilion Clinic - Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine Residency Program (Program #4005121267). Each year we have many inquiries about the application and selection process for our program. The following information will broadly address the most frequently asked questions that our team encounters:
- We usually take seven to nine psychiatry residents each year.
- As in most psychiatry programs our roster includes about half U.S. graduates.
- We offer J-1 visas only and consider each case on an individual and limited basis. Legal fees for visas are the responsibility of the candidate.
- Applying through ERAS is our preferred application method. We review each ERAS application as it comes through. The deadline this year is December 31, 2012.
- We consider a combination of factors in each application:
- USMLE and/or COMLEX scores* and first-time passes
- Professional experience and interests
- Letters of recommendation
- For IMGs – U.S. experience and letters are preferred
- Personal statements – graduation within the last 10 years preferred
- We do not offer observerships, internships, externships or research fellowships.
- Applicants invited for interview are evaluated on the basis of interpersonal skill, life experiences and other personal characteristics or background.
*Factors such as outstanding recommendations or experiences may override lower USMLE/COMLEX scores. The average scores for the incoming class of 2009 were 90 and 92 respectively for USMLE Part I and Part II.
We have posted all information regarding our training program application requirements and process on our program website. Unfortunately, due to the volume of inquiries, we cannot personally respond to your requests for this information via any other source. We look forward to reviewing your ERAS application.