Application Requirements for the Carilion Clinic - Virginia Tech Carilion Emergency Medicine Residency
All application materials must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). We only accept applications through ERAS for PGY-1 positions. Applications will not be accepted via fax, mail, or e-mail. We currently match eight PGY-1 positions.
Our Emergency Medicine Residency program is accredited by the American Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). We participate in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP).
Application to our residency program will be highly competitive. Listed below are some key items that we look for in candidates:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Passing score on USMLE Step 1 at time of application
- Dean's Letter
- Medical school transcript
- Three letters of recommendation (2 must be from board certified Emergency Physicians in an academic practice setting)
- Graduation from medical school within the previous five years
For international graduates:
- At least six months of direct patient care experience in the U.S., Canadian, or British systems
- ECFMG certification if applicable
- J-1 visas are sponsored (not H-1)
Should any openings arise during the academic year, they will be posted on the SAEM Residency Vacancy Service.
Please contact us for more information regarding the Carilion Clinic - Virginia Tech Carilion Emergency Medicine Residency. We look forward to discussing our program with you.