Carilion Clinic Sponsored Groups for Managing a Healthy Lifestyle with Diabetes
The purpose of diabetes support groups is to bring people with diabetes and their family members together in an atmosphere that supports coping with the day-to-day struggle of living with diabetes.
People with diabetes and their families will:
- Learn from the experiences of others and share their own.
- Get tips from the dietitian/nurse educators regarding diet, blood sugar testing, diabetes medications, complications of diabetes and more.
- Learn new information from doctors or other health professionals who lecture on specific topics.
- Have buddies they can call anytime for support.
Carilion Diabetes Management Program offers the following support groups:
Roanoke Support Group
Carilion Diabetes Management offices
1030 S. Jefferson Street, Suite G101
- Weather Policy: In case of inclement weather, please call our office at 540-224-4360 for instructions.
- Cost: Free
- Frequency of meetings: Monthly
- Meeting time: Fourth Tuesday of the month; 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. (Times may change according to activity planned)
New River Valley Support Group
Carilion New River Valley Medical Center
Leader: Lynne Metzler, R.D.: 540-731-2643
- Notice to patients: Please bring your latest laboratory results and goals questionnaire to the meetings if you have them.
- Parents of children with diabetes: For more details call 540-224-4360 or toll free: 1-866-767-4745
- Frequency of meetings: Quarterly
- Meeting time: Fourth Monday of the month; 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. in the Montgomery Room (Times may change according to activity planned)
Bedford Support Group
Edith Hicks: 540-586-9370
Other Support Groups:
- Insulin Pump Club
- National Diabetic Pharmacy